Student Exchange
(a) Attend a mandatory "Pre-Departure Orientation cum Send-Off Ceremony", jointly organised by the Academic Registry, International Office and the Office of Student Affairs on the following dates:
i/ 28 April 2016
(for exchanges in the 1st (Fall) Semester 2016 and the full academic year 2016/17);
ii/ Early December 2016 (for exchanges in the 2nd (Spring) Semester 2017; exact date to be announced).
The programme will prepare you for cross-cultural adjustment and immersion in another culture.
(b) Confirm your study plan at the host institution with your departmental exchange coordinator and academic advisor.
(c) Respond promptly to any emails from the host institution and copy your replies to the International Office at for reference.
(d) Bring the letter of acceptance/admission from the host institution to the International Office for review and record purposes.
(e) Read and sign the HKBU offer letter and return the signed copy to the International Office.
(f) Complete and submit your application for the University Low-Interest Loan (if necessary) to the International Office.
(g) Apply for Travel Documents and/or Student Visas, as appropriate
i/ You should apply for a travel document to travel outside Hong Kong, if you do not already possess one.
ii/ A student visa is normally required for studies outside of Hong Kong. You should consult the relevant Consulate/Embassy for visa requirements.
(h) Accommodation
Reserve accommodation before departure and obtain detailed address, phone and/or fax numbers for yourself and your family members (for reference).
(i) Travel Arrangements
Check the semester dates and the required arrival and departure dates at the host institution and make flight/train reservations as early as possible. Please do NOT issue the tickets or pay your tickets before your visa application has been approved.
(j) Make Provisions for Adequate Travel/Medical Insurance
i/ You are strongly advised to have adequate travel and medical insurance covering the dates of the exchange programmes.
ii/ You are covered by the HKBU insurance policy if you are away from campus for one semester only (up to 185 days). If the duration of the exchange programme is for a full academic year, you should purchase additional insurance coverage. You should refer to the following web site for purchase of additional HKBU travel insurance if needed: (Request for Insurance Coverage for Personal Overseas Trips - Student Only)
iii/ Some countries require students to have proof of insurance before a student visa can be issued.
iv/ Some host institutions require you to purchase their insurance. Please check with your host institution.
(k) Payment of Fees
i/ Accommodation, travel and subsistence costs are the responsibility of the participating students. You must make sure that you will have adequate funds to participate in the Student Exchange Programme.
ii/ Pay HKBU tuition before departure. You may need to prepare a letter to authorize your family members or friends to handle payments or academic matters on your behalf while studying abroad.
(l) Clothing
i/ Check the weather of the country/region so as to bring along suitable clothing.

 During the Exchange Programme
(a) Complete and return the Arrival Form 1 week upon arrival at the host institution.

Complete and submit your Learning Agreement (signed by the host institution) to the International Office immediately after the add/drop period at the host institution. If you are participating in a full academic year exchange, please submit your Learning Agreement, for the respective semester, immediately after the add/frop period at the host institution.

  Note that you MUST fulfill the required study load for a full time student at both host institution and HKBU. Otherwise, you will be subject to a return of all/part of your financial assistantship to HKBU.
(c) Complete early registration as arranged by the Academic Registry during the semester/year abroad.
(d) Check your email account from time to time for important information from HKBU.
(e) Since you may apply for transfer of units upon return from the exchange programme, you should seek advice from your department on your study plan at the host institution.
(f) As you will be exposed to different cultures and environment when studying abroad, it is unavoidable that you will face various types of challenges. You are encouraged to seek counselors for advice if necessary. You can contact the International Office at the host institution for any assistance. Of course, you are always welcome to contact the HKBU International Office and we will try to help you in whatever way we can.