Student Exchange

Do I need to pay tuition fee to the host institution?

No, you will pay tuition fee to HKBU.


What is the minimum GPA for successful application?

You should possess a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application and at the conclusion of the semester prior to the beginning of an exchange. In addition to the GPA requirement, your application must be supported by your major department.


Do I need to be fluent in a third language if I choose to exchange to countries like France and Sweden?

No. The host institutions offer a wide variety of courses taught in English. However, knowing the language of the host country is always advantageous.


Can I transfer the credits back?

Subject to the consent of your Head of Department/Programme Director, credits earned at the host institution could be transferred back to HKBU. You are strongly advised to obtain consent from your Head of Department/Programme Director before enrolling in the courses.


Can I graduate on time?

If you choose your course of study at the host institution very carefully, you probably can graduate on time. On the other hand, there are some students who desire to prolong studies at HKBU by one semester or one academic year in order to fully enjoy the exchange experience. Again, we strongly advise you to discuss your course of study with your departmental exchange coordinator and academic advisor when making the application.

(f) What are the criteria for selecting the candidates for student exchange programme?
  • Your academic performance and GPA;
  • Your English proficiency level and TOEFL or IELTS score;
  • Your performance at the interview; and
  • Avilability of places at our exchange partner institutions.


What courses can I take?

Depending on your own programme requirements, you can take courses at your host institution as equivalents to your major required or elective courses, free electives, general education or complementary studies courses. Consult your departmental exchange coordinator and academic advisor on the selection of courses. Study, also, the catalogue (calendar) information of the available host institutions on-line at their websites.


 Enquiries can be directed to:

Enquiries Office Email / Phone
1. Exchange on University Level Programmes
International Office
Room AAB 703, Level 7, Academic & Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
2. Exchange on Faculty / Departmental Level Programmes
Financial Assistance
Office of Student Affairs
Level 4, Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies, Shaw Campus
3411 2307
Transfer of Units
Undergraduate Studies Section Academic Registry
AAB Room 701, Level 7, Academic & Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
3411 7949