Student Exchange
Students from partner institutions are welcome to study as exchange students at HKBU for one semester or one year. If you are a student from one of our partner institutions, please submit your application materials via your home institution to us.

Students from non-partner institutions overseas are also welcome to study at HKBU as fee-paying visiting students. If you are not a student from one of our partner institutions, please e-mail us at for details.

You may apply if
  1. You have completed at least one year of university study;
  2. You have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (4-point scale) or equivalent; and
  3. You have the endorsement from your home institution.

If you are not a native English speaker, you are required to have a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) / 213 (computer-based) / 80 (internet-based) or above in TOEFL; or a score of 6.0 or above in IELTS, unless otherwise exempted per the terms of the partnership agreement between HKBU and your home institution.

HKBU does not normally accept final-year-final-semester students.

The HKBU exchange programme offers the opportunity for a one-semester or a one-year study exchange. The HKBU academic calendar comprises two semesters of fifteen weeks each. The first semester runs from September to December, and the second semester from January through May.

Please note that you are REQUIRED to stay through the semester(s). The examination system in Hong Kong is VERY different from that in North American universities/colleges with very tight security, centrally-controlled examination files, and external examiner-reviewed examination papers. Therefore, it is not possible for early examinations to be arranged. Please bear this in mind when submitting your application. If you cannot stay through the examination period, you should delay until you can come for a semester in which you can remain throughout the full examination period.

The minimum study load for a full-time student at HKBU is 12 credits (or 4 courses) per semester. In other words, you will be required to enrol for at least 12 credits per semester (or 4 courses per semester) to be considered a full-time student at HKBU, and to satisfy the immigration laws of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

To get a real feel of the academic exchange, we encourage students to enrol for 5 (or 6) courses to start with. Please consult with your academic advisor at your home institution.

Useful Information
Academic Calendar