Student Exchange
  1. Immigration & Customs Issues

1. When should I obtain a passport?
In order to apply for a visa, you need to provide your passport number and photocopy of your passport. Hence, you should obtain a passport as soon as possible if you do not have one. Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your intended date of departure from Hong Kong.

2. How do I arrange for a student visa?
Exchange students must obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Immigration Department issues a student visa to any applicant who pursues a full-time programme at a university. Students should not enter Hong Kong with a tourist visa and then apply for conversion to a student visa. The Immigration Department may not approve such cases.

Students should apply for their student visas through HKBU - this is faster and more efficient. The visa application forms can be downloaded from the HKBU website. The completed forms with the required documents should be forwarded to the International Office for processing.

3. What are the visa application procedures for students from Mainland China institutions?
Same as above. However, upon receipt of the student visas, Mainland students must then apply in China for an entry permit to Hong Kong.

4. Can I leave Hong Kong during my study period and still return without re-applying for a new student visa?
Except for some countries, overseas students normally do not require a re-entry visa to resume their studies in Hong Kong provided that they return to Hong Kong within the limit of stay imposed with the student visa and that there is no change in circumstances since the last departure. In any case, you should first check with the Hong Kong Immigration Department before you leave Hong Kong.

5. Is there any other issue regarding my study period in HKBU that may necessitate my meeting Hong Kong SAR Government regulations/requirements?
Permission given to you for education in Hong Kong is subject to the condition that you shall only study in the University as is approved. You cannot take up employment or engage in any business or undertake any work internships (unless the internship is required as an integrated part of your academic study at HKBU).

Anyone who intends to stay in Hong Kong for a period exceeding 180 days (6 months) must apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) from the Hong Kong Immigration Department within 30 days of arrival. Hence, students studying for two or more semesters will need to apply for a HKID card. The International Office will provide assistance in this regard.

Hong Kong law requires that official personal identification be carried at all times. Persons who fail to comply with this requirement risk being fined by the law court if caught. The HKID card is a convenient means of complying with this law. While in Hong Kong, either while visiting or prior to obtaining a temporary identification card, foreign nationals should carry their passports at all times.