Skip to main content

Summer Programmes

Pre-departure Guide

Mandatory "Pre-Departure Orientation"

All students participating in the Summer Programme administrated by us must attend the Pre-Departure Orientation.

Passport & Visa/Entry Documents

  • Verify your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your programme. If it is not valid for at least 6 months after the end of your programme, you will need to renew your passport.
  • You may need an entry visa or other travel documents to study in your host country. Prepare for documents required for the student visa/study permit application (e.g. financial proof, accommodation confirmation, health  insurance, etc.). You must visit the embassy/consulate website of your destination country to find out your specific requirements for the visa application. Some countries require students to have proof of insurance and accommodation confirmation before a student visa can be issued so you must check their specific requirements. Obtaining documents from embassies or consulates can take months. Please plan in advance. 



Don't leave home without an appropriate health and travel insurance cover your time abroad! You are strongly encouraged to purchase overseas travel insurance before their departure. For final year students, you must purchase overseas travel insurance before your departure. You are also required to submit a copy of your travel insurance to us for record.


Please see Finance Office's website for more details.

Transfer of Units

Upon return from the summer programme, you may apply to the Academic Registry for transfer of units.


The University may refuse to grant units for subjects with grades below the equivalence of grade C in the University grading system. Units transferred from other institutions are recorded without inclusion in grade point average calculations. Applications for transfer of units will be subject to the approval of the respective students' major departments.  Please see Academic Registry's website for more details.


  1. Please request an official transcript from your host institution for HKBU before your departure. 
    This is for credit transfer purposes and serves an official document that you have completed your studies at the host institution.
  2. You may be asked by the professors to provide any materials concerning the subjects that you have taken at the host institution.  This may include the course syllabi and your coursework, etc.  Please spare room in your luggage for these materials.


Application Form for Transfer of Units


Stay Connected

  • Check your HKBU email account from time to time for important information from HKBU.
  • Keep in touch with family members, HKBU classmates and colleagues, and International Office to let us know you are doing well outside Hong Kong.
  • As you will be exposed to different cultures and environment when studying abroad, it is unavoidable that you will face various types of challenges. You are encouraged to seek counselors for advice if necessary. You can contact the International Office at the host institution for any assistance. Of course, you are always welcome to contact the HKBU International Office and we will try to help you in whatever way we can.


Check the Travel Warnings and research the country(-ies) information before you travel



Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Hong Kong Immigration Department


Before you travel outside Hong Kong, you can use the Registration of Outbound Travel Information (ROTI) online service to register your contact details and itinerary.  The information you provided allows the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Hong Kong Immigration Department to contact and assist you in an emergency outside Hong Kong.


If you need assistance while in distress outside Hong Kong, please contact the AHU:


24-Hour Hotline(852) 1868

Fax: (852) 2519 3536

Address: 9/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong



In the event that you are not able to call the hotline from abroad due to the service settings of their telecommunication services operators or other reasons, you may try adding “0000” after entering “1868”. Alternatively, you may also contact your family and friends or the Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in that country for them to contact the AHU. This would allow the AHU officers to call you and render all practicable assistance to you. 


Please find more useful information in the Travel Assistance here:



Guide to Consular Protection and Services Outside Chinese Territory


Consular protection and services are important safety measures for Hong Kong residents outside of Chinese territory. You can learn about the scope of consular protection, the specific services and assistance provided, what cannot be provided, what to do in unexpected circumstances, how to find a Chinese embassy or consular mission in the host country, points to remember and where to obtain further information in the following website:


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China provides comprehensive lists of its missions overseas. Please find more information on Chinese diplomatic or consular missions in the following website: 


Embassy, consulate, mission and representative office lists