Skip to main content

9_Grand Bazaar Entrance Gates


Grand Bazaar Entrance Gates

Since the age of Ottoman Empire, bedestens were found in the cities as a type of covered market or market hall. The first bedesten in Istanbul, known as the Inner Bedesten (Iç Bedesten) was built on the orders of Sultan Mehmed II Fatih between 1456 and 1461, the building can be accessed through four gates: "Second-hand Book Sellers' Gate" (Sahaflar Kapısı) in the north, "Skullcap Sellers' Gate" (Takkeciler Kapısı) in the south, "Jewellers' Gate" (Kuyumcular Kapısı) in the east, and "Women's Clothiers' Gate" (Zenneciler Kapısı) in the west.


Sourced from Duranti, Andrea (2012). "A Caravanserai on the Route to Modernity: The Case of the Valide Han of Istanbul". In Gharipour, Mohammad (ed.). The Bazaar in the Islamic City: Design, Culture, and History. Oxford University Press. pp. 229–250. ISBN 9789774165290