You MUST apply for a student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department BEFORE coming to Hong Kong to begin your studies, unless you have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong.
Courier your completed form ID995A together with the following supporting documents to the International Office:
- Photocopy of the personal particulars page of your passport; and
- Evidence of your financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, scholarship letters, etc.
HKBU will complete form ID995B “Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor)” and will hand-deliver your full set of student visa application documents (ID995A + ID995B + supporting documents) to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for processing.
If your application is successful, HKBU will collect the student visa on your behalf and courier it to you.
- Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the intended stay in Hong Kong.
- Do NOT submit your student visa application directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department as that will slow down the process.
- It normally takes at least six weeks for the Immigration Department to process a student visa application.
When you receive the student visa, please attach it to a blank page in your passport. Be sure that the immigration officer sees your student visa and admits you into Hong Kong on the student status. Otherwise, the officer may admit you as a tourist which will not allow you to begin studies in Hong Kong.
Conditions for a Person holding Student Visa Status
It is illegal for you to accept employment (with pay or without, volunteer work included).
Visit the following websites for more information. If in doubt, contact us at the International Office. We will be happy to answer your questions.
|Hong Kong Immigration Department||http://www.info.gov.hk/immd/|
|Sample Completed Visa Application||https://intl.hkbu.edu.hk/f/upload/464/ID995A_Sample.pdf|
|Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (English Version)||http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID(E)996.pdf|
|Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong (Chinese Version)||http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID(C)996.pdf|